Friday, July 20, 2018

The Dreaded Wasps!

If there is one creature we could do without it would be the "wasp".  Yes I know they have a purpose in the overall ecological system, but in my opinion they live only to be a menace to people.  In fact, I am sure they are the spawn of the devil himself, and once again they have arrived full force to ruin summer.

Last month I was stung on my right hand close to the base of the baby finger.  The swelling and tightness lasted almost 3 weeks!   On Sunday I was sitting quietly out on the patio, bare feet, no food around me, and wham!!  The unprovoked attack of the season - the outside of my right foot. Instant excruciating pain! I'd rather have stepped on cut glass and ripped my foot wide open.


Within an hour the whole ankle was swollen and the bottom of my foot was too.  Then the itching and burning started. Could not sleep from the throbbing.

The next morning, Monday, it was hard to walk on that foot, but I took Ajax for a walk anyway and wouldn't you know it - a ground wasp found it's way between my sock and the tongue of my hiking boot.  He got me right through the sock - but this time it was the left foot.  It's ok to express your pain and fear using the full capacity of your lungs, especially when nobody is around.  I was able to get it out of the tongue of my shoe before a second sting occurred.
This sting was right at the joint where you point and flex your foot.  It swelled up so tight I could not do either. The swelling went right up to the middle of my shin and the burning and itching was out of this world on fire.  I tried raw onion, I tried squeezed lemon juice, I tried apple cider vinegar.  Nothing helped.  Sleep did not happen again on Monday night with both feet throbbing.  Benedryl did not help.  On Wednesday I borrowed some Aloe from my neighbour and that helped the burning and itching somewhat.  Today, Friday, the right foot swelling is almost gone but the itch persists.  The left foot swelling is down about 70% but again the itching and sensitivity on the shin remains.  I slept  well last night.

Many people consider a summer risk to be water-skiing or white water rafting, but I consider being outdoors during wasp season as an extreme sport, and major risk.  We are so vulnerable outside, especially if you have food or drink in hand.  I now cast furtive glances in every direction when outside because I know that a swarm of wasps is waiting for me.   Death to WASPS!


 

No comments: