Smoke is back wearing a cone again.
We don't know what caused the sore on is back. The vet is sure it was not a claw or bite from a fight, so it could have been any number of things that caused irritation and then he licked at it until it was open and all the hair was off.
First we had to put cream on it. The vet said it tasted dreadful so he wouldn't lick it off and we wouldn't need a cone. Wrong. He licked off every application we put on him 3 times a day. It just got worse. So back to the vet again. They said the cream must have itched him or hurt him as he should not have licked it off. So they gave him an antibiotic shot and sent him home with a cone. Poor boy has been inside for 3 weeks now. The first week after the shot and the cone, he was doing really well and hair was growing back and there was a nice scab. I made an appointment for a followup and the night before the appointment I took the cone off so he could wash his face after eating (which I had been doing all along). I looked away for a minute and he licked the scabs wide open. Grrrr. So another antibiotic shot and another week indoors. It seems to be scabbing over again, so hopefully there is an end in site. He is literally climbing the windows now to get out.

No comments:
Post a Comment