December 31st! It seems like in a blink of an eye 2014 is behind us!! Today, with the sun shining, we simply had to have a bonfire. It seems a great way to end the year as we can burn up old wood and garden clippings and enjoy the sunshine at the same time. My fire-pit is working out really well!
While I was collecting stuff to burn, Chris fired up his John Deer tractor just to give the engine a chance to run since it has been sitting idle for the past 3 or 4 months. Johnny started up on the first try!
We cooked bratburst and buns with onions for lunch. Something so much better about outdoor eating and cooking!
After the bonfire I took Jake for his new year's eve walk in one of our many nearby trails.
I came across these 5 Tibetan prayer flags. The
Tibetan word for a horizontal prayer flag is Lung ta, which translates
literally as "wind horse." The prayers on a flag become a permanent part
of the universe as the images fade from wind and sun. Tibetans renew
their hopes for the world by continually mounting new flags alongside
the old. We have a Budhist retreat house on Bowen and I suspect these were hung by some of the visiting monks. I thought it was fitting to come across these as the year is coming to and end, so I shared my own prayers for the world as I passed by.
The sun was just starting to sink below the tree lines so we headed homeward up the trail.
Lots of outdoor activity today, time for a bath. New Year's Eve dinner will be down the road at Bob and Susan's!

No comments:
Post a Comment