Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bee Buzz

I didn't realize how much I liked bees until my friend Joanne shared her interest in bees with me. Right from the beginning I have tried to plant a garden that attracted bees, hummingbirds and butterflies. It is sooooo working out for me. Today when I went out the back door I could hear the buzz. This time, I found nothing but mason bees all over my California Lilac! Where are these Mason Bees coming from??.... I love them!! These bees are amazing... they are solitary bees and have no hive and no queen. The females work hard to collect pollen and nectar to fill their egg chambers. The males, well, they inadvertently pollenize when they feed, which is when they are not mating. These bees are so cool and non aggressive. BUT... right next to my California Lilac is my blue CatMint. And the Catmint is just a buzzing with "Honey Bees". The amazing thing is the honey bees and the mason bees are living side by side, and yet not crossing into each others food source. There must be a lesson learned here, but not sure what it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your garden. California Lilac next to the catmint, is perfect -- for both the bees and me!
Joanne