The other side of the pond has about 8 inches simply because it is deeper at that end and gets shade first. This spring and up until last week, we have not had a single heron visit the pond. In addition to our 3 large koi we had about 13 goldfish and surprisingly at least 3 baby koi!!! And then last Monday the heron arrived to the pond mudflats and we have not seen a goldfish or baby koi since. The big koi are fine, but swimming with their dorsal fins out of the water. I had to build a makeshift enclosure for them to keep the heron out of that deep end which I now call the safe zone. It really is tragic. The fountain is now sitting on mud in order to get it below the water line, and this means I have to clean and unclog it everyday - but I don't mind as the koi need some movement and aeration.
I've always loved wildflowers. Dolly Parton's song called "Wildflowers", has a line that goes like this - ..WILD FLOWERS DON'T CARE WHERE THEY GROW... (I have a link to the song on this blog - so have a listen). I've always thought of myself as a wild flower; I'll put my roots anywhere. This blog is mostly about my "wild" garden, our pond, the birds and insects that visit, it`s about our animals, and our home projects.
Monday, August 20, 2018
What About the Sad Looking Pond?
What can I say other than this drought has practically dried up half the pond. One side has about a inch of water, and we keep digging out mud to try to get some depth.
The other side of the pond has about 8 inches simply because it is deeper at that end and gets shade first. This spring and up until last week, we have not had a single heron visit the pond. In addition to our 3 large koi we had about 13 goldfish and surprisingly at least 3 baby koi!!! And then last Monday the heron arrived to the pond mudflats and we have not seen a goldfish or baby koi since. The big koi are fine, but swimming with their dorsal fins out of the water. I had to build a makeshift enclosure for them to keep the heron out of that deep end which I now call the safe zone. It really is tragic. The fountain is now sitting on mud in order to get it below the water line, and this means I have to clean and unclog it everyday - but I don't mind as the koi need some movement and aeration.
The other side of the pond has about 8 inches simply because it is deeper at that end and gets shade first. This spring and up until last week, we have not had a single heron visit the pond. In addition to our 3 large koi we had about 13 goldfish and surprisingly at least 3 baby koi!!! And then last Monday the heron arrived to the pond mudflats and we have not seen a goldfish or baby koi since. The big koi are fine, but swimming with their dorsal fins out of the water. I had to build a makeshift enclosure for them to keep the heron out of that deep end which I now call the safe zone. It really is tragic. The fountain is now sitting on mud in order to get it below the water line, and this means I have to clean and unclog it everyday - but I don't mind as the koi need some movement and aeration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment