Friday, December 29, 2017

Christmas 2017



What do I want to write about Christmas?   Well, once upon a time I looked forward to Christmas with childlike wonder and excitement. I loved the anticipation of decorating the tree, singing Christmas carols, writing and sending out Christmas cards, spending time with friends and family, giving gifts I had carefully chosen or handmade. Where did this delight and magic go?

Perhaps I should just cut myself some slack. This year and the past have not been particularly easy.  I have been very drained for a number of reasons, so drawing on Christmas spirit and goodwill this year felt like a huge effort, like I was spent ( and I don't mean the money!)  Ha ha.   Not trying to be a downer, just being honest!

But I do long for those Christmases gone by and wish I could bring the enthusiasm and pleasure back to life in me.  Perhaps I will in time for next year.   But time changes everything.  Christmas has always been about bringing family together.  Sometimes this doesn’t always happen, but there needs to be a way.   Chris is not one to budge, so that is also a factor.  His astrological sign is Cancer – with the symbol of the crab:  The crab carries its home on its back, and Cancer is about setting up a cozy and safe space and not going too far.  I’m going to work on that for next year – either we will go to Campbell River, or to Chilliwack, or we will have some sort of gathering at our place.  Probably the latter. 

Thank God though, for extended families, friends and neighbours.    We spent a lovely Christmas afternoon and dinner at our friends, Bob and Susan, just up the road.  Their daughter Lauren came from town with her beau Andrew and his mom Voyka, and Susan’s 93 year old mom Marilyn  came from Courtenay.  

Fortunately the snow stayed away and we were able to make it up their steep driveway.  It was a lovely Christmas, and dinner was perfect.  Bob cooked the turkey in such a way it melted in your mouth.  We sang a few carols, had a few bevies, took turns wearing the musical antlers, and had lots of laughs.


No comments: