Saturday, September 9, 2017

2017 Solar Eclipse

It was indeed an event!  Like many, we hadn't thought about getting the eye protection needed to view the eclipse.  Fortunately the Calgarians came to the rescue - they are always prepared.  Rick had brought welding eye glass protectors with him so we started viewing at 9:30am.  The neighbours to the south and the west came by to join in the viewing party and use the welding screens.  We watched right through to after 11am when the moon passed completely over, albeit it was an 80% eclipse from our neck of the woods, and not 100%.  My only disappointment was that try as I did, I could not get a good photo of what we saw through the screens.   Below are the best 2 I could get.  It was eerie to feel how the temperature dropped and the patio got so shady.  Even the birds stopped chirping and feeding during the eclipse.  Can;t wait for the 2024 eclipse.


No comments: