Sunday, October 18, 2015

Thanksgiving - a Season, Not a Day

It's was a week ago that the Thanksgiving long weekend was upon us. Why there is just one day a year we are supposed to be thankful I will never know.  Being thankful, like gratitude, allows us to enjoy the good things in life more fully.  Thankfulness is like sitting down to a fabulous meal and savoring every bit, as opposed to racing through the meal like it is a competition.  While the latter is typically my style, the former is just exactly what we did.  This year, while there were no family plans or get-togethers, our extended island family helped reinforce how grateful we are for friendships.  Not one, but 2 turkey dinners on the weekend.

Our good friends Bob and Susan laid out a wonderful spread for us and their daughter Lauren on Saturday night.
Sunday night, the Hunter clan had us over to share in a much contributed dinner for 14!
Friends Sheila and Bonnie.
 
  Bonnie supplied the brussel sprouts, beans and mashed turnip. 
 One of the amazing dishes I had never had was roasted yams with marshmallows on top. 
 One of Sheila's traditions.  Go figure!
 The Hunter grandkids
 
 And of course George - the patriarch! and grandaughter Georgina!
 Chris was thankful that we were invited out both days so that I didn't have to cook. 
 I was thankful too! And FULL!




No comments: