Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Canada Day!

I love July. This Canada Day I realized how much I enjoy red and white - our flag colour.
It`s also the colour of my car(s).  Seeing all the "red and white," reminds me of how colour impacts our lives. When we experience the world in colour, we are able to be more creative.   Like my garden for instance.  I totally love pinks, blues and purples; some shades of orange and red.  Like the orangey-red below on the Lucifers.
BUT - Chris has a bit of colour blindness and finds it hard to distinguish some of those flower colours against the green leaves.    This is where creativity in planting comes in.  The splash of white Shastas mixed with the Lucifer lets him see more pretty stuff.   Though not my favorite flower colour, I also add yellows just for Chris to see and enjoy.  Like this yellow Junceum (mediteranean broom) growing nearby my purple budelea.
 Or the white lilac above my purple and pink lupins.
One of my favorite colour combinations for both our benefits is green, white and purple.  There are so many shades of green you can contrast to brighten up the visual experience.  Here is one of my favorites.   Brunnera has fabulous foilage and the white and green leaves allow you to see the veining of the leaf clearly - and when they bloom (not in this photo) the tall flowers are blue.  Chris can see the leaves and the flowers just by nature of the way the plant presents itself.  And of course I add to the mix my periwinkle blues. 
So next Canada Day, while you are celebrating and waving "red and white," use it as a means to spark your creativity by seeing and experiencing how the colour in your world impacts you.  I thought of the garden, but hey, just think about food!! 


  



No comments: