Sunday, May 3, 2015

Horticultural Euthenasia

The first thing that they tell you about pruning is that much like a bad haircut, a botched pruning job will grow out eventually.  It’s unlikely that a person will kill a plant with poor pruning.  It may look really bad for a while, but it won’t die.
Well, I am here to tell you that I am dying inside after my botched Amandi Clematis pruning job today.  Seriously!  It was disaster. And it will not grow out!!
I have a 6 to 7 year old Amandi that has never been pruned.  It runs alongside the bonus room and has gone wild taking over the whole side and front of the house, and taking over the Wisteria as well.  It covered an entire window and just needed some pruning back.  I should have taken a before photo but did't think I would need to.  Here are a couple of pictures after I first began pruning it back from the front of the house and from within the wisteria:

Well at some point I cut the wrong old wood and the whole thing crashed to the ground.  Like an umbilical cord cut from the mother vine, it was done.  The problem is that there is no going back now,  This was my most prized vine, with such fragrant blossoms each spring.
 This was a thriving, happy vine, and it felt like it might feel being part of assisted suicide!!  The best I could do was to take some cuttings from some of the new shoots that lay in a mass on the ground.. I had soil, sand and rooting compound so gave it a go.
Will any of them take?  I won't hold my breath, as the Amandi vine is very hard to grow from cuttings. Pruning is not going to be part of my future. 



No comments: