Sunday, April 21, 2013

There is a Lumberjack in all of Us!

Wood is a fantastic heat resource when you have the option of heating your home with a wood stove.  I never thought of myself as one who would covet, but by jove, I see firewood and it excites me.
Our island neighbors have recently cleared some land and they have a few logs ready to be tackled.

So what is a girl to do?  Call the log-buster!  Terry - my brother-in-law.   A forester and bush man extraordinaire.!!   We were lucky to be able to have one fir log, and Terry agreed to come with his chainsaw.
Of course I would choose a log sitting on the ground, so we first had to uncover its protector.  Terry cut and split and I did the second split and loaded into the truck.  We got her!
Amazingly enough though, I was surprised to find that all that wood we cut, split and loaded, turned out to be only about 1/4 of a cord once we stacked it.   Who knew!!  I now have a much better appreciation of  what goes into harvesting wood.  Plus a lot of bark as you can see in the front row!


No comments: