Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Eve

A quiet Christmas season for Chris and I. Perhaps by circumstance and perhaps by happenstance. Living on Bowen has its challenges for sure, but it also has a uniqueness about it that you don't find in the city: a good sense of family community.
Christmas Eve we joined our friends Susan and Bob down the road for a fabulous dinner. Susan owns a shop on Bowen called Fabulous Finds, so it is only natural to expect a fabulous meal, in a fabulous home, with fabulous tree trimmings and fabulous company.
Bob and Susan have a unique collection of Christmas ornaments for there tree, collected from around the world. There are no two the same and some are very exotic. I particularly liked this frog ornament.
We had the most fabulous appetizer which I will have to try to make. It was pitted dates stuffed with a roasted almond and some goat cheese, wrapped in bacon and broiled until the bacon was crisp. Amazingly delicious.

Bob BBQ'd a tenderloin to perfection, topped with sauted shitake mushrooms, and Susan cooked parmeson-topped scalloped potatoes and roasted carrots with rosemary.
Pecan pie and whipped cream for desert.

It was a great evening, and we tried some excellent new wines. Here we are, Chris and I, just sitting down to dinner.
After dinner Susan and I tried our best to harmonize a few favorite Christmas carols, while Bob, below, gave some attention to their favorite kitty, "Peanut".

No comments: