What can I say about Lupins other than they are simply perfect flowers, and the bees just love them, as you can see. Lupine is the Latin word for wolflike. Since I love wolves as well, I did some research. In ancient times, Europeans noticed that lupines grew on poor soil where no other plants ventured. The fact is, they can live in such places because the bacteria in their roots remove nitrogen from the air, fix it inside the plant and supply nitrogen fertilizer that the soil lacks. But the early observers only knew that these plants lived in otherwise barren spots. They assumed they had taken some nutrient from the soil that other plants needed. Thinking the plant was like a wolf robbing the fold, they called it "wolflike."
I would love to have a whole field of lupins. Purple and pink ones
I've always loved wildflowers. Dolly Parton's song called "Wildflowers", has a line that goes like this - ..WILD FLOWERS DON'T CARE WHERE THEY GROW... (I have a link to the song on this blog - so have a listen). I've always thought of myself as a wild flower; I'll put my roots anywhere. This blog is mostly about my "wild" garden, our pond, the birds and insects that visit, it`s about our animals, and our home projects.
Monday, June 13, 2011
I Love Lupins
What can I say about Lupins other than they are simply perfect flowers, and the bees just love them, as you can see. Lupine is the Latin word for wolflike. Since I love wolves as well, I did some research. In ancient times, Europeans noticed that lupines grew on poor soil where no other plants ventured. The fact is, they can live in such places because the bacteria in their roots remove nitrogen from the air, fix it inside the plant and supply nitrogen fertilizer that the soil lacks. But the early observers only knew that these plants lived in otherwise barren spots. They assumed they had taken some nutrient from the soil that other plants needed. Thinking the plant was like a wolf robbing the fold, they called it "wolflike."
I would love to have a whole field of lupins. Purple and pink ones
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment