I've always loved wildflowers. Dolly Parton's song called "Wildflowers", has a line that goes like this - ..WILD FLOWERS DON'T CARE WHERE THEY GROW... (I have a link to the song on this blog - so have a listen). I've always thought of myself as a wild flower; I'll put my roots anywhere. This blog is mostly about my "wild" garden, our pond, the birds and insects that visit, it`s about our animals, and our home projects.
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Ducks Unlimted
If you build it they will come..... or so the saying goes. When we first started to create this living pond out back in 2007, we really wanted it to be echo friendly and to attract frogs. They say that frogs will only come to a healthy pond..and last year we got a frog!!. This year, I have seen 2 of them hop into the pond.. so this is great news. The other thing we wanted was to try to attract ducks. I even tried decoys last year, but to no avail. Well, Chris called me this aft to come up to the pond as there was a pair of ducks having a bath and preening themselves. I grabbed my camera and got a few shots - a nice pair of mallards. They spent about 40 minutes there before flying off. Needless to say it was the highlight of my day, even though they did leave there calling cards all over the rocks by the edge of the pond, and muddied the water quite a bit. A wonderful afternoon interlude.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment